Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

Facebook Personas

                My facebook profile creates multiple personas that are observed by various subcultures, including my friends and family members, who interpret the things that I post in many different ways.
                There are a few tagged pictures on my facebook that create a persona of a stereotypical hockey player who does nothing but drink when he is off the ice. I’m not quite sure why, but some people assume hockey players are a completely different breed of athletes because they drink alcohol and chew tobacco. I personally have never tried chewing tobacco, nor do I plan to, but I have to admit I have given people who look at my facebook a reason to support that stereotype: hockey players are alcoholics who somehow perform well on the ice, while getting away with mistreating their bodies. The picture below shows me drinking beer out of the Savannah Tire Hockey Classic trophy, the same trophy you saw on my first blog post. While my friends may think this picture is funny and even congratulate me and my team for winning that tournament, my dad would probably not be very proud of the way I am disrespectfully tarnishing a piece of hardware that required a huge amount of effort to attain. My mom, on the other hand, would probably take the side of my friends. After my first year at UF, she told me, “You earned a 3.9 GPA while playing college hockey; your father can’t ask for much more. You should have fun and live a balanced lifestyle, just be responsible.”

                While there are a few pictures on my facebook that some of my relatives and future employers wouldn’t quite admire, there are many pictures that create the persona of a hardworking college student presenting himself in a professional manner. The middle picture is from Junior Achievement’s Day of Difference, during which a group of UF business and accounting students go to elementary schools in Alachua County to teach children about the basic fundamentals of businesses and how they function within communities. Participation in this event is one of the best things I have to put on my resume. The first thing you’ll notice about this picture is that I’m dressed somewhat professionally. Any picture of a young man wearing a button-down shirt, tie, and slacks makes them look more respectable when you’re used to seeing them in street clothes. Also, the fact that I am standing with young smiling children shows that I’m good at working with little kids, even if the person looking at this picture doesn’t know how nervous I was to be responsible for about 20 third graders. The last picture was taken prior to my hockey game against UNF last Friday. I’m standing with my roommates/teammates, Scott and Mike. We are required to dress up for all home games in order to proudly represent the University of Florida. This should create a positive persona for Scott, Mike, and I, no matter who is looking at this picture. We all appear to be clean-cut and happy. I think future employers who see this picture would think of me as a friendly, well-rounded person.

No comments:

Post a Comment